David "Honeyboy" Edwards Talks Delta Blues 2010

David "Honeyboy" Edwards at the Colony Theater, Miami Beach, 2010 - Jacob Katel
Here is some classic audio from first generation Mississippi Delta bluesman David "Honeyboy" Edwards.

I was lucky enough to interview him over the phone for the Miami New Times to hype a show at the Colony Theater in Miami Beach in February 2010. Honeyboy said , "I don't know nothing else to do


David "Honeyboy" Edwards


but play the blues and play my guitar, so if I hang around the house I figure I won't wanna do nothing and just keel over. Ya know what I mean? So I keep a doin' what I gotta do."

I shot the above picture of him a few days later while he was signing autographs after the gig.

After the show, Honeyboy sat a table in the lobby, signed autographs, and took photos with fans, and girls on his lap, as Michael Frank and Steve Arvey sold merch. When the crowd thinned out, we said, "Dude, that was fuckin' awesome." Honeyboy told us "I been doin this a long time. Some nights it's good, some nights it's not. Sometimes it sound good, sometimes it don't. The music....It's a feeling....it's a feeling."

Honeyboy was a protege of Big Joe Williams, and used to do shows with Mr. deal-with-the-devil himself, Robert Johnson.

In 2010 Honeyboy was recognized with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Grammys. He died August 29, 2011 at the age of 96.  He was the last original Delta bluesman on planet earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment